The Preventive Program
Both natural teeth and teeth with restorations survive best in an oral environment that is clean and where the intake of harmful foods is controlled. Our program is designed to help prevent new cavities, preserve teeth that have been restored and manage periodontal disease. At the initial visit oral hygiene instructions are reviewed and are reinforced at subsequent recall visits. The following are helpful recommendations:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day in a circular motion with a soft bristled toothbrush aimed at the gum line.
- Use an ADA-accepted fluoride toothpaste.
- Floss every night in an up and down motion while keeping the floss in a C-shape against the tooth surface.
- Avoid smoking
- Avoid sticky sugary foods.
- Eat a balanced diet and limit between-meal snacks.
- Use antiseptic and fluoride rinses as directed.
- Ask us about dental sealants, a protective plastic coating that can be applied to the biting surface of your back teeth where decay often starts.